Pokesdown: its boundaries.

Which parts of the area are included in Pokesdown? A PDF of the maps is available here where they can be enlarged for easier viewing. Here is a map showing the 1859 boundary of the then new Parish of St James, Pokesdown – based on the description given by J.A. Young147 – note, it covers a …

History: Page 4

1947 to 1962 The move to our current building… Whilst the search and wait for a new Minister took from July 1947 to August 1948, Rev. Franklin Chambers, retired minister of West Cliff Baptist Church, helped look after RPBC. 71 Eric Peter Sharpe led the worship one Sunday in January 1948, was invited to preach …

History: Page 2

The Rosebery Park Estate 1. In the 1880s ‘Freemantle’ was the name for the area between Pokesdown and Boscombe. The nucleus of the original Rosebery Park Baptist fellowship came from the Baptist Mission Chapel at Freemantle, opened in 1889, on the same site now occupied by the present Rosebery Park Baptist Church building (812-814 Christchurch …

History: Page 5

Pokesdown in the 1960s… The date of this photo is unknown, but it is after RPBC moved into this building (formerly known as “Keswick Hall”) in 1952, and BEFORE the alterations to the front of the building carried out in 1969/70. (See below for more on this). “The 15 firemen who are the Pokesdown fire-fleet, …

Pokesdown: the name.

Earliest known written records with the name “Pokesdown”: Year: c.1586. Evidence: Richard Morris of Pokesdown, Christchurch on a list of people fined for buying pirates’ goods (part of The Cecil Papers).124d Year: 1660. Evidence: Henry Mantle of Pokesdown elected a churchwarden of Christchurch Priory. Year: 1662-63. Evidence: churchwarden accounts record the receipt of one shilling from Henry Mantle of Pokesdown in …

History: Page 3

Rosebery Park Baptist Church, 1923 to 1947… Rev. James Greig Douglas oversaw further expansion work on the chapel, with the addition of a pulpit, choir stalls and a gallery in 1925. For the three months this building work was being carried out, the Sunday services were held in the Technical Hall. A new organ with …